Faith, Faith, Flour, & Sawdust

New smile


Woke up to swollen face

January 15, 2013, I woke up with half of my face swollen. It was so swollen I could barely open my left eye. It was horrible and the pain was worse. I went to a local dentist and that got me in later that afternoon to see what they were working with. They thought that I could just get the front teeth replaced but my bite was off and that wouldn’t work. They made a mold of my upper teeth, gave me a high dose of antibiotics, and told me to go home and rest.

I had bad teeth

I had bad teeth and the dentist would always judge my teeth and judged me. They said some hurtful things and each one made going to the dentist a little harder. At about 13 years of age, I started intensely watching my weight. Occasionally I would force myself to purge the food I had just eaten. This habit didn’t get serious until my senior year. I hit bottom low my freshman year in October. I went to school weighing 97 pounds, by the middle of October, I was down to 67 pounds.

I had just lost a former gymnast teammate from the same thing I was doing to myself. That is when God put his foot down to save my life. Several things happened and realized that staying at school would kill me. I packed my room and went home to stay. I needed to get my life back on track, I need to get my head straight, and I needed to seek help from a professional. I had a 2-year-old, I wanted to see him grow up. I wanted to be his mom. I got my stuff together, I learned how to see food in a better way and I had to retrain my brain. I wasn’t fat, and I need to remember that when I looked into the mirror.

Stupid bounce house

When I was young I was playing tetherball and chipped my front tooth. I got a veneer piece to fix the tooth back in 1986. This lasted through my 30s. In my 30s I decided that I could still do a backup, on a trampoline yes……. in a bounce house, not so much. I knocked that veneer piece lose. In a few years, it fell off. Having no insurance I just dealt with. That was maybe 2009 or 2010.

Time had come

Back to 2013 and a swollen face. I went home had soup for dinner and took those antibiotics. The next day at 3 pm I sat in the dental chair, a lot scared but ready. The numbed my whole upper mouth. They started on the right side and started pulling the teeth out. Oh yes, I was awake through it all. The right side came out fairly easy. We got to the cracked tooth and it would not budge. He went to the next tooth and it wouldn’t budge. He tried the left teeth further back and the slid out. He numbed me again and after a lot of tugging he got the two front teeth out. 11 teeth in all and I was awake for the entire thing!

No sooner they had the teeth out they shoved a temporary set of dentures in my mouth. This helps to clot the gums. I was told them to keep them in my mouth until I came back tomorrow for my first set of permanent dentures. I did this and slowly day by day my face went down in swelling and my smile got better and better. I felt better about myself as my new smile came about. I still have my upper dentures, some days I don’t wear them because they need to be relined and they rub. You can hardly tell when I don’t wear them. If you have a problem like this seek out help. There are ways to get that new smile and new you. No one should have to suffer.

I want you all to have a blessed day, love the ones you are with, and remember we are not guaranteed tomorrow but we are guaranteed coffee today!